The Building Department oversees all construction activity in the Town, as well as permit review and building code compliance.
Mike Tulli has been Building Commissioner since 1996. Mr. Tulli is a State Certified Building Inspector for Residential and Commercial Buildings as well as a State Certified Plans Examiner. Mr. Tulli attended Purdue University and has worked for the City of Indianapolis as Local Building Official, Residential Inspector, Commercial Inspector, Inspection Supervisor and Plan Review Manager. Mr. Tulli is also a member of the Indiana Association of Building Officials and the International Code Council.
The Building Department's mission is to provide safe and secure places to live, work and play in Avon.
We have compiled a list of resources to help guide you on frequently asked questions and information to help you through the building process here in Avon!
- Building Department FAQs
- Building Permit Fee Schedule
- Building Permit Requirements and Fees (Commercial) (PDF)
- Building Permit Requirements and Fees (Residential) (PDF)
- Current Building Codes
- Current Projects Map
- Indiana State Building Codes
- Subdivision Zoning Classifications within the Town of Avon Corporate Limits (PDF)
Questions regarding Permit Applications may be emailed to the Planning and Building Department and a Staff member will assist you. Please submit your application online. Also note that, right now, we can only accept cashier's check or credit card as payment.
In order to schedule inspections using the contractor portal you will need your "Contractor Access Code."
- Link to Contractor Portal
- Building Permit Application (PDF)
- Commercial and Industrial Permit Requirements (PDF)
- Fence Diagram (Traditional and Corner Lots) (PDF)
- Fence Permit Application (PDF)
- Fence Standards (PDF)
- Residential Permits Issued, 1996 to 2011
- Residential Permit Requirements (PDF)
- Sign Area Tables (PDF)
- Sign Code